Monday, August 11, 2014

Public Speaking - attempt 1

I was always told that I have the poise of a steadfast speaker. I don't think I have had any problems speaking to a small group or even a classroom size. I've had plenty of practice mumbling away during my volleyball coaching days.

As long as I felt I'm familiar with the content which I'm going to talk about. I don't think I have any issues making a speech out of it. I may not be the motivation-speaker-type getting everyone all hyped up, but at least I try to make people believe I know what I'm talking about and I'm confident about it.

Today I put that perception abt me to the  sternest test. It's 30mins long lecture type speech in front of a crowd close to 200. I'm not too sure what spurred me on to take up this challenge. Perhaps the question to ask was, why not?

Preparation up till today was not exactly intense. Slides were only being confirmed last week. There was only one full rehearsal. Truthfully, I didn't think I'll have much problems until nature decided to attack me.

My throat and nose felt horrible the past few days. My weekend was spent mainly lying on the bed and eating porridge.

Thankfully, I felt well enough today. I only started feeling the nerves when people streamed into the auditorium. It's good that I sat in the front row so I did not have to hear or face the crowd until it's my turn. 

My last minute preparations involved putting myself in a relaxed position as much as possible. Also non-stop brainwashing of myself, "I'm the 1 person who knows everything about the stuff I'm presenting. Everyone knows nuts!!" I kept repeating that to myself and I honestly believe it.

The actual 30mins were over in a flash. Despite sounding like Rod Stewart every now and then and having my ears and nose blocked. I believe I've scrapped through pretty well. It's encouraging to see some among the audience looking at me and nodding as I went along. 

There were many "pats on my shoulder" and "job well done" given. Even though I don't think I did fantastic, I'm glad to get positive feedback. 

Until next time, if I ever do get another chance.

No comments: