Friday, January 22, 2010

First Aid @ SJAB

for the past 3 days I've been attending a day course at the St John's ambulance HQ at beach road. Why? cos i'm trying to get my first aid certification so that I could register myself as a coach at SSC. It took me quite a few years since my coaching cetification to come for this course, inertia I guess. But now since i'm quite free, it's time.

total cost was around S$115 inclusive of 3 days parking at the HQ. the course runs thru 3 days from 8.30am to 4.30pm. I think we were lucky to have a pretty experienced teacher. He's a volunteer at SJAB, long time volunteer. He's 83 on wednesday and he was involved in the hotel new world collapse rescue operation. That was like ancient already. But yah, along with experience also comes lots of war stories which he likes to narrate every now and then, that's when I start falling asleep.

Over the course of 3 days, I'm confident i've equipped myself with sufficient knowledge to administer at least some first aid which situation happens. But the real question here is, given the the knowledge of giving first aid, would you do so? That's a question that the teacher has subtlely ask many times (oh yah, he has a knack of give "subtle" hints.) When a situation happens, would you react immediately to help or would you rather be a "stamford raffles" to just stand there and watch instead of lending a helping hand. seriously I think in singapore, people love stamford raffles ALOT!!!

No comments: